Edith Cavell has been slated for much needed seismic upgrades. Cavell Parents have raised a number of concerns with the proposed project:
What Can You Do?
Write to your VSB Trustees, our MLA George Heyman, and the Minister of Education, Rob Fleming to advocate that something be done about the 6 million of deferred maintenance not addressed in the current Seismic mitigation plan for Cavell and that it be combined with much needed expansion
- Upon completion of the Seismic upgrade we will return to a school left with 6 million in deferred maintenance that will not be touched with the current plan.
- Our first Project Identification Report completed in 2012 stated, “It is recommended that a 20 FDK + 250 Grades 1-7 replacement school be built as the seismic mitigation option as it the most cost effective solution than an upgrade for the long-term. The replacement school option would best serve the future educational needs and minimize ongoing operational costs.” Why the change, 6 years later? There is even more deferred maintenance now.
- The lack of coordination with long-term required school expansion.
- Edith Cavell concurrently has been identified for much needed long-term expansion which is not contemplated as part of the seismic upgrades
- Green space considerations for active health.